Happy Monday everyone!
I love Mondays, well now that I don’t have a “job” (ranch wife/mom life is the best job!) I love Mondays. I love the potential for the new week. Every Monday I write down my weekly workout schedule and goals that I want to accomplish. It helps keep me on track and is something that I can do for a little “me time.” However this Monday I’m still dreaming of the weekend!
We had so much fun going to the county rodeo, riding around the ranch, and playing in the river. I love the weekends when we can get out and do things together as a family. It’s so nice to be able unwind and reconnect after a hectic work week!
And the weather was an absolute dream. It was sunny and crisp with a light breeze. I was definitely craving fall big time. Friday night a storm was rolling in so I couldn’t go for a walk, and while sitting around the house I was fighting a serious need-to-bake-something bug. Eventually I gave in and I made these super soft, melt in your mouth donuts. The flavors and spices really made me want to put a rush order in on permanent fall weather, but until then I guess I’ll just have to practice my fall baking and enjoy the last few weeks of summer.
Anyway, back to these fabulous donuts. They’re super easy because you bake them and they come together in less than 10 minutes. (you can find a donut pan almost anywhere, I got mine at Target and Amazon has them as well!) The pumpkin makes them moist and very soft. The donuts themselves are lightly sweet but have strong cinnamon spice flavors. The glaze is what really makes these little guys. It enhances the sweetness and the maple combining with the pumpkin will have seeing leaves change colors right before your eyes! You glaze them when they’re still warm and you can’t help but immediately dive in.
Okay, lets get started! Here’s what you’ll need:
For the Donuts:
1/2 cup pumpkin
2 Tbs. almond milk (any milk will do!)
2 Tbs. coconut oil, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup flour
2 Tbs. sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cloves
- Preheat oven to 325
- Mix pumpkin, egg, milk, coconut oil, and vanilla together.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, spices, and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet and gently combine.
- Put your batter in a piping bag or a ziplock bag with the end snipped off and pipe into your donut pan.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, start on your glaze while the donuts are baking.
- Once they’re finished baking, allow them to rest in the pan for 5 minutes then remove them to a wire cooling rack with tinfoil underneath it. (your counter will thank me later when you’re glazing your donuts)
- Let them cool an additional 5 minutes before you glaze them.
For the Glaze:
2 Tbs. butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
1-2 Tbs. almond milk
1- 1 1/2 powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
- In a shallow bowl or pan melt your butter and whisk in your syrup, salt, and spices.
- Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, adding almond milk only if you need it. Until you get it to a thin, but not a super runny consistency.
- Glaze your donuts and if you can wait let them set up…IF you can wait.
- After the glaze had set up I put the extra glaze in a small ziplock bag and drizzled over the top to give them a fancier look. Or you can do sprinkles! I LOVE sprinkles…but I live with someone who does NOT love sprinkles which I didn’t even think was possible!
Now, DIG IN! Dig in right now! Don’t wait! These are wonderful in the morning with a side of bacon and eggs (maple bacon donuts, am I right!?) or at night for dessert with a glass of chocolate milk or even hot chocolate! Yum yum yum!